Monday 15 September 2014

Art Therapy - Finding Happiness in Colouring.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
 – Pablo Picasso

Often the stresses and pressures of everyday life can be draining and can negatively effect our happiness. It is important to take some time to relax and de-stress. 

Recently I discovered the world of colouring books for grown ups - books filled with detailed designs and patterns for you to colour. At first I was skeptical, isn't colouring just for children? but I decided to purchase a book and give it a go - I was surprised to discover that I loved it! 

Amazon have a whole host of different colouring books for adults available but I decided to get 'The Secret Garden' by Johanna Basford as I loved the beautiful floral patterns and garden designs. 


Every page of the book boasts a fantastically detailed picture. Below are a few pictures of my first completed page! I really enjoyed seeing the picture come to life as I added a little more colour to the picture day by day. 
The pictures are so complexly drawn that completing this page actually took me two weeks, working on it for an hour or so here and there. I definitely had a feeling of pride and satisfaction when it was finally finished.

I thought that colouring might just be a bit of fun but I was surprised to find how relaxing the process was.  I found out that this process of de-stressing through being creative is known as 'art therapy' and is a well known technique used to help people clear their mind, relax and unwind. 

I know colouring in might sound silly and childish but these books have beautiful, intricate, detailed designs that just come to life when you begin to add colour. The whole process is actually extremely relaxing and really helped me to escape and de-stress. 

I would really recommend getting these grown up colouring books a go - they are fun, relaxing and such a creative and different way to de-stress. 

Have you ever given a colouring book for grown ups a go? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below :)
-Hollie xxx

1 comment:

  1. This is a very informative post and we need these products so much in our life. Unfortunately in my country the concept of dry shampoos is quite new and the ones available are very expensive

    ReplyDelete